Archive for the ‘Uncategorized’ Category

Same old story

Sunday, February 11th, 2007

It happens every time. For the past week, it's looked like we would get an all-snow weather event. Then, the promise of warmer air at the surface rears its ugly head, and the snow degenerates into "wintry mix" before the first snowflake falls. TonightPartlyCloudyLo 25°FMondayMostlyCloudyHi 43°FMondayNightWintryMixLo 24°FTuesdayWintryMixHi 27°FTuesdayNightWintryMixLo 29°FWednesdayWintryMixHi 33°FWednesdayNightMostlyCloudyLo 18°FThursdayPartlyCloudyHi ...

Let it snow?

Saturday, February 10th, 2007

Monday: A chance of snow after noon. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 39. Chance of precipitation is 30%. Monday Night: Snow likely, mainly after 1am. Cloudy, with a low around 27. Chance of precipitation is 70%. Tuesday: Snow likely. Cloudy, with a high near 29. Chance of precipitation is 70%. Tuesday Night: ...

1.5 inches of fresh powder

Wednesday, February 7th, 2007

From up here, it looks like about 1.5 inches, tops. Yet, it was enough to convince FCPS to close schools today. Wimps. To be fair, all of the other suburban counties closed today, too. Only the urban ones—DC, Alexandria, and Arlington—didn't close. And those are opening two hours late. This the ...

It’s snowing

Tuesday, February 6th, 2007

It's been snowing for about an hour now and it's 21 degrees. The NWS says we'll get 1 to 2 inches. That'll probably be enough at least for a two hour delay for FCPS tomorrow. It doesn't take much for those wimps. The Potomac is frozen in spots. Not frozen enough ...

Mountain Biking

Wednesday, January 31st, 2007



Got Wood?

Wednesday, January 31st, 2007



Safe Fashion

Wednesday, January 31st, 2007



Ted Talks

Wednesday, January 31st, 2007

My friend Pete Norloff advises: "If you haven't discovered TedTalks yet, you might want to take a look at this 8 minute video from CBS about the TED conference. http://www.cbsnews.com/sections/i_video/main500251.shtml?id=2404760n Afterwards, have a look here http://www.ted.com/tedtalks/ to see some or all of the most recent presentations from the conference available online. TED addresses the ...

Two pictures

Saturday, January 27th, 2007

The pickup truck broke through the guard rail and left the road, traveling from right to left. He flipped across the end of the culvert and landed on the left side of it. Take a good look at the first picture before scrolling down to the second picture. The second ...

Brain? Or No Brain?

Saturday, January 27th, 2007

Thanks to the following link, now I understand: http://www.nbc.com/Deal_or_No_Deal/game/dond.swf I stumbled across that show when we were on vacation, watched for 2 or 3 minutes, then changed the channel because I couldn't figure out what it was about. I was thinking I might have to watch a complete show to figure it ...

The Commander in Chief

Friday, January 26th, 2007

I guess we can add anatomy to the long list of things this guy doesn't know

It’s a lie!

Monday, January 22nd, 2007

So, a while back, I bought this so-called "space heater". I took it outside, aimed it at the sky, and turned it on. Weeks later, space is no warmer. Clearly. These things don't work.

Snowdrops

Sunday, January 21st, 2007

Here's what our snow ended up looking like... at 11 pm.

80%? Is there any doubt?

Sunday, January 21st, 2007

I can understand that there is uncertainty about the amount, but uncertainty about snow itself is puzzling. As you can see, it is snowing. Granted, there isn't a lot of snow (at least not at this point). However, moderate snow (not light snow) is falling, and has been for almost ...

Curiously disturbing aerial view of US Naval Amphibious Base in San Diego

Saturday, January 20th, 2007

Notice the building complex framed by Roi, Bougainville, Eniwetok, and Tulagi Roads. This is not photo-shopped. Any of several aerial view programs on the internet will show you this (such as Windows Live Local, go here http://local.live.com/default.aspx?cp=32.727245%7c-117.033469&style=h&lvl=12&v=1 and zoom in on the rectangular peninsula just to the east of Coronado).  Symbolically, ...

DWI

Friday, January 19th, 2007

It just now occurred to me that DWI is the opposite of DWUNK.

Office 2007 Review: Don’t let facts deter your thesis

Thursday, January 18th, 2007

In this morning's New York Times, in Purging Bloat to Fashion Sleek Software, David Pogue reviews the new Office 2007. He sets forth a premise, then proves the premise wrong. He begins by saying "Microsoft spent the first dozen years of Office's life piling on new features." Now, after many ...

Global Warming is Reality: Here’s Proof!

Tuesday, January 16th, 2007



Beach 2 and Beyond—Monday, January 8, 2007

Wednesday, January 10th, 2007

Last Full Day in Puerto Rico Monday is our last full day in Puerto Rico. This morning, Katie slept in until 11 am. When she finally arose and had breakfast, she & I drove to the public beach in Dorado. Karen decided to stay at the house and get some work ...

Mayagüez, Ponce, and Guavate—January 7, 2007

Tuesday, January 9th, 2007

The odd line in the above map shows our travels for Sunday, January 7th. We arose earlier than usual, and drove first about 90 minutes to the zoo in Mayagüez, another hour or so to the art museum in Ponce, then another hour up to Guavate for dinner, then back ...